Las Vegas Plastic Surgery
Although plastic and cosmetic surgery is still an industry that is dominated by female patients, more men are seeking out plastic surgery procedures. Statistics recently released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) indicate that the number of men having cosmetic procedures in the United States is on the rise. For some male cosmetic procedures, the increase was notable. The following data breaks down male plastic surgery by procedure.
Men’s Plastic Surgery Top Ten: Fastest-Growing Male Cosmetic Procedures (by percentage increase)
The list is comprised of the fastest-growing surgical and minimally-invasive procedures from 2009 to 2010. Criteria for inclusion: Procedure performed on at least 1,000 men in 2010. Surgical procedures are listed in bold.
1. Male Facelift – 14% Increase
2. Ear Surgery ( Male Otoplasty) – 11% Increase
3. Soft Tissue Fillers – 10% Increase
4. Botulinum Toxin Type A – 9% Increase
5. Male Liposuction – 7% Increase
6. Breast Reduction in Men – 6% Increase
7. Eyelid Surgery – 4% Increase
8. Dermabrasion – 4% Increase
9. Laser Hair Removal – 4% Increase
10. Laser Treatment of Leg Veins – 4% Increase
The profile for the male patient seen in the plastic surgeons’ office is changing. Today, it is less the movie star and more the average middle aged man who wants to look revitalized. Contemporary male plastic surgery patients are fit, financially stable, and usually outpace their younger male counterparts. They live youthful lives and do not want to look old or tired. At our Las Vegas cosmetic surgery practice, about 10% of our patients are male. The number of male patients we see in Las Vegas is consistent with the national figure average. Modern cosmetic procedures have removed the stigma for men going into a plastic surgeons office, and today there are a variety of treatments that help men regain their youthful appearance.
More Statistics from the ASPS:
Men’s Top Ten: Most Popular Male Cosmetic Procedures (by volume)
This list is comprised of the top five surgical and top five minimally-invasive procedures by volume in 2010:
2010 Top Five Male Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
1. Nose Reshaping (64,000)
2. Eyelid Surgery (31,000)
3. Liposuction (24,000)
4. Breast Reduction in Men (18,000)
5. Hair Transplantation (13,000)
2010 Top Five Male Cosmetic Minimally-Invasive Procedures
1. Botulinum Toxin Type A (337,000)
2. Laser Hair Removal (165,000)
3. Microdermabrasion (158,000)
4. Chemical Peel (90,000)
5. Soft Tissue Fillers (78,000)
We look forward to this interesting trend and invite men who desire to look as young as they feel to find their way to the plastic surgeon’s office…
Jeffrey J. Roth, M.D., F.A.C.S.