Microneedling is a minimally invasive cosmetic procedure that can help rejuvenate skin and treat various skin concerns like acne scars, fine lines, wrinkles, enlarged pores, hyperpigmentation, and more. It involves using tiny sterile needles to create controlled micro-injuries to the skin, which triggers the body’s natural wound healing process, leading to collagen production and new skin cell growth.
How Does Microneedling Work?
During a microneedling treatment, a device with fine needles is moved over the skin to create tiny punctures in the top layer of the skin. These micro-injuries stimulate collagen production and new skin cell growth, leading to skin rejuvenation. As the skin heals, it becomes smoother, firmer, and more even in tone and texture.
Microneedling typically ramps up collagen and elastin production, which are proteins that give skin its youthful bounce, glow and firmness. As we age, the natural production of these proteins slows down, leading to signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging skin. Microneedling jumpstarts this production for more youthful looking skin.
Benefits of Microneedling
Some benefits of microneedling include:
– Improves texture and reduces scars: Making small holes in the scar, (trephination), has been used to improve scars for many years. Also by stimulating collagen production, microneedling can help smooth out rough skin texture and reduce the appearance of acne scars, surgical scars, and stretch marks.
– Minimizes fine lines and wrinkles: The tiny needles used during microneedling procedures create micro-injuries in the dermis that stimulate structural change and collagen production to fill out fine lines, wrinkles, and crepey skin.
– Brightens complexion: Microneedling can help improve hyperpigmentation, even out skin tone, and create a healthy glow by stimulating new skin cell growth.
– Tightens and firms: Collagen and elastin production triggered by microneedling leads to firmer, more toned skin that has a more youthful appearance.
– Requires minimal downtime: Unlike more invasive treatments, microneedling does not require significant downtime. Patients may experience some redness for 24-48 hours after treatment.
– Safe for all skin types: Microneedling is suitable for patients of any skin type, unlike laser treatments or chemical peels which may not be advisable for darker skin types.
Types of Microneedling
There are a few different options when it comes to microneedling:
Microneedling with Hyaluronic Acid
This type of microneedling combines microneedling with the application of hyaluronic acid, a substance that occurs naturally in the skin and helps keep it hydrated and supple. The hyaluronic acid penetrates deeply into the skin thanks to the tiny punctures created by the microneedling. This helps hydrate the skin from within, in addition to stimulating collagen.
Microneedling Las Vegas Cost
Microneedling with hyaluronic acid takes about 30-45 minutes and requires little downtime. It usually costs around $250 per treatment, with 3-6 sessions recommended spaced 4-6 weeks apart for best results.
Microneedling with Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)
Platelet-rich plasma (PRP) is created from a person’s own blood and contains concentrated growth factors and stem cells that aid healing. Combining microneedling with PRP application can help rejuvenate the skin even further by delivering these beneficial growth factors deep into the skin.
Microneedling with PRP Cost Las Vegas
A PRP microneedling treatment involves drawing a vial of the patient’s blood and processing it to isolate the PRP. After the microneedling, the PRP is massaged into the skin, leading to enhanced skin rejuvenation. About 3 sessions spaced a month apart are recommended, with each session costing around $450-$500.
What to Expect During a Microneedling Treatment
– The skin is cleansed, and a topical numbing cream applied. For a PRP microneedling procedure, blood will also be drawn at this time.
– The microneedling device with fine sterile needles is moved over the skin in a gentle stamping motion. You may feel some mild discomfort depending on your pain tolerance.
– For a PRP microneedling treatment, the PRP is now applied to the skin and gently massaged in.
– Your provider will typically apply a soothing serum or mask to the skin post-treatment.
– Redness, minor swelling, tenderness, and dryness may occur for a couple of days. Use gentle skincare and avoid direct sun exposure while healing.
– Multiple sessions are usually needed spaced weeks or months apart for cumulative and longer lasting results. Annual maintenance sessions help sustain the benefits.
Microneedling is an effective treatment for various skin concerns and requires minimal downtime. Under the care of Dr. Jeffrey Roth from Las Vegas Plastic Surgery, microneedling can help to rejuvenate the skin safely and naturally for a more youthful appearance.